The easiest shredded instant pot chicken you will ever make! All you need is olive oil, salt, pepper, and chicken breast or tenders. It is ready in less than 10 minutes. Perfect for soups, sandwiches, meal prep bowls, and stir-fries!
To be completely honest, I was not sure what to do with my instant pot when it arrived on my front porch. It was a last-minute addition to my wedding registry that I thought no one would get us. When it came I was terrified. I had had very small amounts of success with a crockpot over the years. Several of them met a gruesome early death after burning the insides or making something so gross and grey that I couldn’t make myself open the lid and just threw the whole thing out. Well, times have certainly changed! Once I put my big girl pants on and several huge oven mitts I figured the thing out. You know what? I actually really like the thing now! One of my favorite things to make is shredded instant pot chicken! It is so much cheaper and healthier than buying a rotisserie chicken every time I want to make something that calls for shredded chicken.
Things you will need to know about shredded instant pot chicken:
The first step is to use 2 tbsp of olive oil or avocado oil in the cooking pot of the instant pot. Swirl the pot around to coat the bottom. You could also use ½ cup of broth or water if you prefer. In addition, the liquid allows the chicken to cook without it immediately burning and shutting the pot down.
Saute mode trick:
To get really flavorful chicken with a crispy crust place the chicken directly on the surface of the pan allowing each of the chicken pieces to touch, but not overlap. Season with salt and pepper. Turn the instant pot to sauté mode and allow the chicken to cook 1-2 minutes on each side before turning the pot to pressure mode.
If you are using fresh or thawed-out chicken cook the chicken at high pressure for 8 minutes! (plus the 2 minutes of sautéing mode if you choose) I know that does not seem like enough time, but I promise it is.
However, if you are using frozen chicken place the chicken in the bottom of the drum and skip the sauté mode. Cook the chicken on high pressure for 12 minutes.
How do I know if it is cooked:
Be sure to measure the internal temperature of the chicken to ensure it is all the way cooked before eating. The recommended internal temperature is 165° F.
It is possible to overcook chicken in the instant pot. My recommendation would be to start with the 8-12 minutes, allow it to cook without being disturbed, check the temperature and then go from there. If I have larger chicken breasts, I will sometimes have to cook them for 2-3 extra minutes.
How to shred chicken:
This is the fun part! The easiest way to shred chicken is to grab two forks and pull the chicken apart right in the instant pot. The chicken will be juicy and tender and will pull apart easily. You could also place it on a cutting board and use the same method with the forks or your fingers.
Seasoning options are endless! My favorite way is to use simple salt and pepper. However, you could use Italian seasoning, taco seasoning, Asian 5 spice, salsa, or bbq sauce! Get creative and choose the spices that work best for the dish you are making!
If you make this shredded instant pot chicken, be sure to leave a comment and give a star rating below letting me know how it turns out. Your feedback is so helpful for future HMB recipes and for other readers.Print
The easiest shredded chicken you will ever make. Combine olive oil, chicken, salt and pepper, and let the instant pot do its job! Perfect for meal prep, soups, sandwiches, and stir-fries!
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast or chicken tenders
- 2 tbsp olive oil or ½ cup broth or water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add olive oil, broth, or water to the bottom of the instant pot. Swirl to coat the bottom completely.
- Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Set the instant pot to sauté mode and allow the chicken to cook for 1-2 minutes on each side, flipping halfway through.
- Close the lid and make sure the pressure gauge is set to seal. Set pressure to manual, turn pressure to high, and set the timer for 8 minutes. The timer will start when the pressure has fully built up.
- When the timer goes off. Quick-release the instant pot by turning the gauge to vent. Allow the pressure to fully release before opening up the lid. Check the internal temperature of the chicken has reached 165° F. Shred chicken with a fork and serve in the dish of your choosing.
- Play around with the seasoning you like to tailor the chicken for the meal you are making.
- Air on the side of more liquid to make sure the instant pot does not immediately burn your chicken! If it does burn, empty the pot, clean the bottom, add more liquid and try again.
- Cook time will vary depending on the amount of chicken and the thickness of the chicken.
Keywords: Main Dish, Lunch, Dinner, Meal Prep